View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
Interesting vid/story. What on earth is all packed on that bike? I pack to travel indefinitely totaling 35lbs!
A lot of stuff I never ended up using! Like sleeping bag, tent, roll mat (thats in the big orange cylinder-like bag. The roll mat was very voluminous but didnt weigh much). In 8 years, I only camped a handful of times, but, I figured, carry a tent and sleeping bag & roll mat just in case I get caught somewhere. I also carried a laptop, a DSLR, several lenses, a tripod, three GPS units (because I LOVE playing with GPS), two pocket cameras and several external hard discs which I triple wrapped in padded stuff to save it from damage. The topbox only had a Gigapan unit which weighs only about 1.6 kgs, but it takes 6 AA batteries so I carried a couple of dozen of them because my GPS also used AAs. I did weigh all my stuff at one point and it came within specs, about the same as a pillion passenger. But, in hindsight, I carried way too much, and later you will see overloading caused the first serious breakdown that nearly killed me, halfway down the desert coast of Chile.