Thread: Dads’ ATV
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #11

Ya know when a simple 10 minute job turns into several hours of suck. That was yesterday. The plan was to mount an inductive tach/hour meter on the beast and possibly the heated grips when they showed up.

I had an extra tach laying around, so I decided to use that. I wrapped the wire around the spark plug cable and started the engine and the tach worked. Good. I started routing the wires, this tach has a ground wire, don’t know why but if it works… I’m not having any luck feeding the wires past the fuel tank, so I pull the the top plastics off. Sunuva…I find a broken chassis ground wire between the engine and the frame. Plus the back of the engine is covered with oil. Crap.

I find that the terminal on the wire is broken. Surprisingly, I had some 6ga terminals in my stash. Get that fixed. Did I mention that tiny hands are needed to work on this thing? I look for the oil leak and notice that the oil injection banjo fitting bolt is loose. I got half a turn out of that. I foresee a trip to the local hydraulic shop for some bonded washers in the near future.

Go back to getting the tach installed. Get all the wires routed and neatly zip tied in place and mount the tach. Fire up the engine and…nothing…nada…a blank screen.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts