View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #1348

Thumbs Up

sorry in advance culcune, but i'm going to disagree.
If I didn't need californias certification, I would work the best deal I could on a Hawk before I set off to build a waaay south of the border adv bike.
First, the hawk is(or should be) waay cheaper than the tt250, the engine is stronger ( I have both). Put on mjstef's instruments, a mikune w appropriate jet selection, aftermarket exhaust if you want(not really necessary but will save a few pounds, take a 17t sprocket for the first relatively good road part and switch back to the 15, then maybe even the 14 if you are going into the andes, change out the spokes for good stainless, maybe upgrade the tubes keeping the originals for spares,thro on sealed bearings while you r at it, ziptie and put the wiring sheaths on everywhere u can, put a good quality metal or ceramic fuel filter in line and a very very fine screen in the tank inlet(for baad gas) change out your grips to feel comfortable to your gloved hands,run an extra clutch cable, dot4 in the brakes, grease the hell out everything that moves, replace the stock chain, install your bar end/lever/hand protectors, change out the fork oil to something that fits your loaded weight. maybe buy a more adjustable or resprung rear shock.
attach up one of the aftermarket oil coolers and re do the front fender. add a good bash plate, and call Wolftrax and ask if you can go with him outfit yourself and gear carrying bags to suit, and learn some spanish
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking