View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clash 168cc View Post
You need to use a feeler gauge and spark gap checker. They are not optional .Not where you should wing it. If you only get popping after that, could remotely be a sheared crank shaft key. Happened to me once on a boat motor. puts the timing totally off. Or your valves are leaking/corroded possibly. Take off the head and check gasket and valves.

It could possibly be a sheared key as the motor was locked up when I got it

I managed to free it with some Kroil and a couple of downhill clutch pops in gear

I'll throw a timing light on it when I get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Whats the history on this motor? I see a lot of water damage/corrosion on that carb.... if water got into the engine, i would just about put money on the rings being stuck in the piston, which wil do exactly what you are describing...and thats from persomal experience, my shineray came to me with frozen rings from water ingestion, only made 60psi compression. Would pop and bang but not ever start... slapped a new piston and rings in, hran a hone thru the bore and instantly had 170psi comptession and it fired right up....

According to the PO, he was riding it when the wiring harness near the headlight started to smoke and it shut down.

Been sitting eversince under a tarp without an air cleaner installed (about ~2 years according to inspection sticker)

I'll pickup a compression and leak down tester from my shop when I get a chance this week and see what the numbers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You need to clean that carb bigtime!

For any barn find, used garage find not running for a few years this is the first stop. I think if you clean the jets, float bowl valve, blow out hidden pilot channel and choke channel it will start.

I just experienced an apparent float bowl valve blockage on a nearly new motorcycle. Runs great for a minute, and craps out. Let is sit, and runs for another couple minutes. AAArrrgghh!!!

Guess who is taking the carb off again.
I have it all soaking as I type, although I've seen far worse (I've had to take a chisel to the gook in my boat carbs lol)

That being said, even without a carb, I should get more than just a few pops with spray directly into the cylinder, which is why I'm thinking it may be out of time (either due to the crank key or if the wrong AC ignition box somehow makes a timing difference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
I found a wireing diagram for your bike at www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/gas-parts-manuals I thought it might help you out.

Thanks

I've actually had it for some time, but the wiring doesn't really go into much detail with the CDI box