View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

Lifan 163 into Honda 3-wheeler - no spark...

As everyone probably knows by now... the Lifan 200cc FML163 engine bolts right into a Honda 3-wheeler, a 1985 200M in this case. Just clearance the frame under the engine to allow for the oil drain.

I am having trouble with the wiring. No spark. None.

First pic the engine connector to the wiring harness. I moved the Black/Red wire on the harness side to match up with the engine plug

Second pic is the CDI - move the green wire over one pin to the other ground. Not sure if this is really important or not. Black/white kill wire isn't connected to anything. I believe this is "ground to kill", but there's no spark with it ungrounded or grounded - so I don't think this is the culprit.

Third pic is the rectifier - all the wires match up. I did pull a black wire out of this connector from the harness side. Figure there was nothing on the rectifier side for it to connect to, so why have it.

Fourth pic is the coil - Black/yellow from the CDI and a ground wire for good measure, even though this should be grounded through the chassis.
  1. Coil measures 0.5 ohms across the input to ground - supposedly that means its good.
  2. Spark plug boot measures 4600 ohms, as it should
  3. Spark plug wire has continuity

Stator measure good per a youtube video I watched.
  1. Black/red gives 50+V AC - provides the main power to the CDI
  2. Blue/white gives 1-2V AC (or whatever it's supposed to be) - trigger wire for firing the CDI

Engine cranks very well when hooked up to a battery through the starter solenoid.

What in the heck am I missing? Got to be something simple...

Everyone says to leave the gear indicator unplugged, so I haven't done a thing with that.
Attached Images