View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
I don't recall ever seeing them for old school forks ,we certainly didn't run them back in the day even on very pricey fork legs .If you really want them ,how about cutting up an inner tube or a mountain bike tire and tie wrapping it to the lower legs .The point of the covers is to keep the chrome legs from rocks ,dents,pitting as that will ruin the seals in quick time ,on a standard set of fork bottoms ,the seals are at the top and it would take a hell of a lot of pounding to damage them .
Yes, that's right. There have been three types of direct acting hydraulic forks. The original AJS/Matchless "Teledraulic" fork, which used outside springs, and all of their copies. (EVERYBODY copied them, with variations) Then came Ceriani forks, with internal springs, and dust seals that run directly on the stanchion. Then came upside down forks. There was another fork, a "Dowty Oleomatic" which had no springs, just air. These were employed by manufacturers that didn't want to, or couldn't develop their own fork. Gaiters were originally used on the Teledraulic type forks to protect the seals and springs on competition bikes that had all of the excess ironmongary stripped off in order to save weight. Although people put gaiters on Ceriani type forks now, back in the day we never did. The Hawk uses a Ceriani type fork. The upside down fork is the one that wears booties. Whether for looks, or from necessity, I don't know. If they are that fragile, I don't want them....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 04-29-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: correct a mis-spell