View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Shifting on my TT was very smooth from the start on whatever oil they come with. Nothing I've read or heard from the CSC guys or saw at their place would indicate that they change the oil. Maybe the bikes come with better oil than the cheaper CBs.

My take on break-in, don't flog it and don't baby it. Start off somewhat gently but increase power and RPM use long before the 500-1000 miles many manufacturers call for. Dictating the break in period by miles is like determining brake lining life in miles, can't be done. I've seen good evidence from high end builders indicating that a harder break in is better than one that's too mild. The reality is that it's nearly impossible for the average person to know what the engine really wants. If one doesn't go extreme in either direction it'll probably work pretty well.

My friend babied a rebuilt CB550 and the rings never seated, burned oil for the 8+ years he had it; visible smoke level of burn. It's partly my fault because based on what I'd seen of his driving I thought he would abuse it so I stressed that he go easy on it. He took my recommendation of taking it easy to an extreme.

Break-in methods are about as clear as which oil is best.