View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

Snapped Rear Rack Bolt

Ok gang, my neighbor, who I sold the white RX3 to, decided he wanted to paint the rear grab bar/trunk mount. In the process, he snapped the long center mounting bolt.

I know, I know....how?...you may ask. Let me just say he's a great guy, an awesome father, well-meaning, is a great cook, and has a huge heart....but has a tendency to be "a bull in the china shop of life". I think the only pair of bars he hasn't gone over is a rototiller....but give him time. You get the idea.

That said, has anyone else done this? There is nothing sticking out. It's actually recessed. He wants me to drill it and use an easy-out but my record with this process is lackluster, at best. If I'm lucky enough to drill a perfect hole (without hitting the threads) in a hardened bolt, the easy-out usually snaps, compounding the problem.

Anyone else done this? Can it be drilled completely through and nut and bolted? I guess I'll have to completely disassemble the rear and see where that hole goes to.

Any RX3 expertise is greatly appreciated.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350