View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

I enjoy forums where the members are well-informed, passionate, and courteous.

So with that, over coffee here are my thoughts about my former V-Strom 650 and the RX3.

I really admired the Wee more than I loved it. Great engine, fine suspension, lots of farkle options, etc etc. But the physical size of the bike, including the largish cowl in front, hindered my feeling really connected with the bike.

I love smaller bikes, and for years blasted around on an Aprilia RS50 two stroke sport bike. So I was a good fit for the RX3.

At this point I love the RX3 more than admire it. Lets face it, there are some rough edges we are working out. But I am having a blast riding the RX3. Its my favorite choice for anything for errands to heading out for a hike.

And I still have a larger bike for the rides where that is appropriate. I ride with groups, and while my buddies will put up with and even be amused by the RX3, I don't want to hold them back.

The RX3 is a ton of fun for a modest up-front cost. Is it a real bargain? I don't think we will be able to answer that until they "age" a bit more, and we start getting an idea what they will fetch on the used market. Right now, for the cost of an RX3, including (the very helpful) set-up and shipping, you can get a good well-equipped used Wee Strom or KLR650. And for riders who have little appreciation of the joys of smaller bikes, that's a better option.