View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Poor Mans Pool Noodle Cylinder Hone.

Hi, Was going to put this in my XL185 with a Zongshen CG250 swap project thread but I think this information is general purpose DIY maintenance that might help.

My used CG250 had weak compression so I removed the top end to find a fair bit of piston slop and a glazed bore. Clearly it was burning oil.

I checked Aliexpress, piston/ring kit was $25AUD and a new Jug/piston/ring kit was about >$100AUD (shipped)

I decided to try the low cost approach first so went with piston/ring kit went with this...
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...ctId=752466407

So what to do about the glazed jug...
purchasing a 3prong or dingle hone would defeat the cost saving by not getting a new cylinder kit.

Ive seen people use red scotchbrite but I wanted something more consistent.

So looking around my home MacGyver style, I found a section of pool noodle, some masking tape, a sheet of 600grit wet dry sand paper and some lube oil (whatever you got)

(Disclaimer) this will work on any small engine cylinder to de glaze and apply a cross hatch. It is not a hone to re bore...

Process:
1. wrap the noodle with tape sticky side out.

2. roll the sandpaper around the noodle. Half a sheet was enough for me.

3. lube the sheet and cylinder and insert your hone*

4.by hand using a IN and Twist / OUT and Twist action. clockwise/anticlockwise doesn't matter but be mindful of the sandpaper sheet overlap.

5. Check results every half a dozen or so turns.

6. When you have achieved the desired result you're done and now your new piston rings should seat properly.

Remember this is just a poverty spec solution. Do so at your own risk.

Cheers, XLsior

Attached Images