View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
Hey guys,

New guy here from DFW. I've got multiple questions regarding the Hawk 250. I've done a lot of research already but I still can't bring myself to actually go buy one. I'm not convinced. I've been wanting to get a bike for the longest time, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on a first bike. I'm also not afraid of tinkering on machines. I bought my first truck 4 years ago and I've had some sort of project going on (fun or maintenance) damn near every weekend since. That being said, I feel the Hawk is an excellent choice.

But like I said, I'm not convinced that it's the bike for me.

First off, as the title states, I have seen multiple people who have put between 1000-3000 (motocheeze on youtube)or so miles on the bikes and revied them but what about 10-20,000 miles or more. I'm wanting to know how they held up/are holding up and what are some parts that tend to break, or just need replacing. How do these bikes handle being ridden daily? I have a 20 mile round trip to school everyday and the speed limit never goes above 50 on that commute. Are they pretty reliable once you get them tuned and dialed in? Like I said, I don't mind working on the bike, but I don't want one that will need to be worked on every couple days or one that I have to worry about it not starting every morning.

I've been reading through threads since I joined a week or so (maybe two) ago. I've already got a list of the "mods" I plan to do. 17t front, 45t rear sprockets, better chain, mikuni carb and jets, changing engine oil, better spark plug, longer shift lever, etc...

Now, looking through the local CL ads, I found a 2015 Hawk for $1000 obo. I thought to myself "hell yeah!" until I looked at the pictures.

Other than the front wheel and tire, do you guys see anything else that's just jumping out at you that looks wrong with this bike? Shitty pictures, I know. I'll take better ones if/when I go look at it. The clutch lever doesn't look right to me. If I can get a hold of the guy and go look at it, what are some things I should look for that could be damaged as a result of whatever caused that wheel to be bent? Since I obviously can't ride it like that, how would I check to makes sure things aren't bent/broken.

And lastly, replacement parts. I talked to a couple dealers today (one of which, when I mentioned the one on craigslist, dropped his price right then and there... $1650 TTL out the door to $1500 TTL out the door), one being 360 powersports, one being pioneer powersports, and the other being a no name sotre with a sign above the building that says "Scooters and ATVS!". 360 said they would not install parts I order (like the sprockets and such) while the other two said they would. I've heard horror stories of 360 so I'm completely turned off by them now. So other than dealers, where could I order parts for these things? Preferably american made replacements if that's even an option.

I'm sure I'll have more questions the longer I'm here.

Thanks guys and gals.
I would reccomend buying a new one, sent to your home so you can assemble it yourself. That way, you know who to blame if it is assembled wrong. I wrote a bunch of stuff under "Hawk Talk" that should help you. And there are plenty of other threads also to help you. The Hawk is in the enviable position of being the most bang for the buck, motorcycle wise. The engine is one of the most reliable ever made.