View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That resonator is a large cell catalyst. Or at least pretending to be one. The individual cells are rather large, so I don't see it being very restrictive at all, especially with the exit being essentially the same size as the catalyst itself. No bottle neck like the stock system.

It does actually have a decent air gap to the cylinder as well. My fear at first was that it would end up too close, but after making my mid pipe bracket ala Hardware store, it moved it away enough that I am not concerned about the proximity too much, but I do have a heat shield on the way, more to protect me and my leg than the bike.

Having basically played every mod game with this bike, I have come to the conclusion that the "ultimate" modded street ridden Hawk = Motocult kit and a VM26 "30mm" clone, and an exhaust.

The VM26 Clones aren't really any different than the stock carb other than the choke working backwards and the bowl has 4 screws instead of three. The key difference is the fact that they use Mikuni jets, and Mikuni jets are simply superior to Keihin. They function as a tapered metering orifice instead of a basic hole. That just seems to make them run better. Better than the PZ30, which is more or less the same carb.

Maybe I am giving up half a HP on the very top end by using this carb over my PE28FL or using something bigger, but most of the bigger carbs have fitment issues and become tempermental with tuning.
Nice work on that pipe and something I would likely do since I am a non-welder. I got my JFG pipe pretty much ironed...errr...hammered out. To make clearance for the clutch thingie on the case. I foolishly tried to bend it while connected to the head and only managed to crimp the head gasket, so I replaced it with the MotoCult head gasket. Much thinner, so I think I'm getting slightly better compression.

I am finally getting the PE28FL dialed with both new mods: pipe/head gasket. Just got back from test ride after putting the 105 main jet in and she is MUCH peppier. Was accelerating into the wind in 5th gear on a gravel road!!

Why did you go away from the PE28FL? Better luck with Mikuni clone? Prefer that tapered jet?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin