Thread: Winter Project
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #65

I'm moving almost like a normal person again so back to work on the Toro.

Ever wish you never started on something the more you get into it. This falls into that category, but I've gone too far not to finish it.

Soooo, the last few major repairs are underway. Those are the steering that has about four inches of slop at the wheel and lots of sheet metal on the mower deck.

I might get half the slop out the steering, but that's probably it. I'll be welding thick half inch washers on the ends of the spindles where the tie rod passes through. Then Mcgyverin' bushings for the front wheels. The current bushings are married to the hubs and I'm afraid I'd ruin the wheels if I tried using a hydraulic press. So, I'm just chucking the wheels in the lathe at work and boring the bushings to take 3/4 x 5/8 x 1 oillite sleeves. The rest of the slop is in the steering mech and that's just a sheet metal frame that was never bushed, so it might not be worth the effort to fix.

Worn out parts have been the biggest issue with this project. Well, that, and the fact it was only built in 67 and 68, so there are NO Toro parts available.

I'll be busting nearly 50 year old Goodyears off the rims today. Sounds like all kinds of fun.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts