View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I've got the documentation and the manual, I've got a couple of questions about break-in and oil that I couldn't see clear answers for.
  1. Can I use the oil the bike ships with for the first 200 miles, or should I immediately change it?
  2. The manual suggests standard break-in stuff; gentle acceleration, vary rpm's etc. However I also have a separate letter with the docs that mentions a limit of 5k rpm. I know there's no tach - do I have to worry about this too much? I didn't on my previous new bike, I was just sensible and didn't thrash it, indeed Kawasaki's break in rules would have you being passed by a tortoise, however the engineer in me tends to err on the side of caution when something's in print.

I'm planning to ride the bike as much as I can, weather permitting. Probably about 30 miles a day.

What were people's break-in experiences?
Vary the r's and take it easy for the first 500 miles. After the first 200 miles do some high rpm's for a few seconds. Do some hard stop's using the engine to slow the bike. This is a good write up:
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...our-motorcycle

Last edited by Merlin; 12-17-2016 at 01:21 PM.