View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 02:09 AM   #1

Hawk vs Templar X

Looking to add a something like a Hawk or Templar X to the stable. Currently have a KLR650 and a CR500r. The new bike will need to serve 3 missions.

Mission 1 - Tag along with younger nephew as he learns to ride his XR100. Hawk seems fine for that, I'll call it wheels on the ground riding where I'd mostly be putting along. I'd be the rider in this case.

Mission 2 - Bike for an older nephew to ride to build up his riding skills. Combination of gravel and dirt roads with some trail riding mixed in. Some rural backcountry paved roads where going 55 or 60 for 5 miles now and then would be needed. My nephew would probably like to get the wheels off the ground so Templar X would be better for that but Hawk would seem to cover the other aspects fine. Nephew would be the rider and I'd ride the CR or KLR depending on the ride.

Mission 3 - Dual sport bike for my dirt riding buddy so we could check out some new DS rides. These may be 30 to 50 miles rides on backcounty gravel or dirt roads. Buddy would be the rider and I'd bring the KLR.

I like the Hawk because of the wealth of knowledge and parts available for that bike. It seems like every bolt, wire and hose is known on that bike. Plus there seems to be parts for everything available. The seat looks wider so I am assuming it can be made more comfortable by replacing the foam with something better. Hawk should be a slam dunk to license in Washington State.

The Templar X seems to be a much higher quality bike but I am not seeing where parts are available like plastics or say a headlight assembly. Mission 2 will be my older nephew riding so I am expecting some crashes that will require some replacement parts. The seat doesn't look so comfy for the longer DS rides or for me putting around with my younger nephew. Licensing could be a headache unless MCO says motorcycle.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Hawk because of parts, licensing and seat comfort(once restuffed). Can someone chime in on the Templar X regarding parts, the seat comfort and if the recent bikes have shipped with Motorcycle on the MCO?