View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #4

BEST? by far???

I am using Champion Chain Lube Spray grease.
The lubricating component of this stuff is ONE thing. It is called Lithium Soap. Lithium Soap is a lithium salt of fatty acids. So what is that?

It is made from triglycerides (a major component of animal fat!!!!), specifically, the saponification of triglycerides. Most lubricating greases include petroleum-based grease/oil, but not this stuff.

Lithium grease ADHERES particularly well to metal, and STICKS, and good for use under under heavy loads to protect chain links under load. It also tolerates high temps (not usually a real problem with a motorcycle chain, but increases durability). But it STICKS to metal. I mean sticks...and It repels moisture. All good for motorcycle chains.

Gear oil flings off more easily. So I would not recommend it unless you lube your chain more often.

Since it comes from triglycerides, the most common Lithium salts present are Lithium palmitate, Lithium oleate, and lithium stearate.

The rest of Champion lube spray is SOLVENTS: Heptane, petroleum distillates (like pet ether), propane, butane. These let you apply the Lithium grease to the metal, then the solvents evaporates, leaving the grease on the metal. The solvents help it penetrate into crevasses, but I also squeeze it in with the glove.

It doesn't smell like oil (which wouldn't bother me), but you can tell it is not the same as gear oil (a petroleum product). But it STICKs better, and lubricates awesome. It even holds on when I spray off the bike periodically (within limits, but you can feel it-still sticky! and the chain stays quiet).

Oh, it is also easy to apply. I will continue to use it. Champion knows what they are doing. Yes, there are other ways to lube your chain. You choose.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-08-2023 at 09:15 AM.