Thread: Rpoc
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #48

Almost done with wiping off the PO finger prints. Retorqued the cylinder heads and adjusted the valves, which were a bit tight. Lash should be .003-.005, I couldn't get an .003 in there. Set them at .004.

Checked the plugs and things seem a bit rich. That could be anything from excess idling, a dirty air filter, restrictive exhaust or the wrong plugs. I'm leaning towards plugs. Specs call for an NGK BP7HS and the plugs I pulled are Autolites that may be too cold. Gap was off by almost .010. Regapped and put back in. New NGK plugs will be here on Sunday.

For grins, I decided to check the pilot screw settings. Good thing. Factory is 1.5 turns out. Left carb was .5 and the right was almost 3. I'm surprised it idled at all. Much better now.

Only things left for me to do is pull the air filter to clean it and sync the carbs. The air cleaner looks to be a two cuppa job to get out. It's supposed to be a K & N filter from the factory and my Service Kit went with the old F150 when I sold it. Syncing will be easier than the CX. I don't need to remove anything.

Almost there. This thing is so much easier to work on than the CX.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts