View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #64

Update:

After the Great Oil Spill, I rode another 150 miles.

Kept hearing metallic noises, even with earplugs in, and helmet on.

Decided to do another oil change. This made number eleven.

At the last oil change, I switched from the metal mesh oil filter back to a paper filter with the idea of checking for metal particles.

There had been no sign of any metal since about 5,000 miles.

They are back, big ones, and a couple dozen smaller ones:

And a larger sliver attached to the magnetic drain plug.

Not much I can do about it now.

I put in a new filter and oil, set the valves once again (one intake +.001 greater, 1 exhaust at -.001 under).

I have been contemplating my options:

...A new engine is not happening...$2,600 US plus my labor to take out the old one and install the new one, is more than the bike would be worth on the used bike market.

...No local shops will work on a China bike. There are only two in town, and I have asked.

...I am considering sending the engine back to CSC for a re-build. CSC Gerry says the labor will be ~$350 US (engine out of the bike), plus parts, crating, and shipping. I estimate at maybe $1,000 US......and I still have to remove and install the engine, crate and ship it myself.

...Sell it, as is, to someone who can do the rebuild themselves.

...Part the bike out. I am really not interested in advertising, packing and shipping dozens of parts.

...Donate it back to a CSC employee who could rebuild it ..they would need to pay shipping.

...Ride it, as is, until it quits...I'm thinking of starting a pool on how many miles it will last...

Are there any options I am missing?.....other than setting it on fire.

Currently, I am still riding it.

And if I keep the RPMs high enough, the exhaust noise drowns out the metal tapping noise....

jb