View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

Pads rubbing badly on rotor

I've also discovered that removing the brake caliper bolts was an impossible task. (ridiculous) My dad and I ground off the heads and replaced the bolts with hardened steel hex headed bolts. (same as Spud did)

However, since replacing the pads--which did not show much wear at all after 13.5K miles (only issue w/the original pads was very loud "squeaking" when applying the brake), I soon discovered a new problem. The new pads ride against to rotor and eventually seize the wheel. After bleeding the brakes, the lever feels a little mushy, but good. However, after about 3 days of riding, the lever stiffens up greatly. REALLY stiffens up...the lever hardly budges at all it's so stiff. Plus, the rotor seizes...the wheel doesn't turn freely. Obviously, that's a major issue.

After connecting a bleeder tube to the caliper's nipple, I relieved some of the pressure and it frees up the wheel to where I can ride it. But, it's not a fix. The pads rub horribly on the rotor (quite loudly) and I can't figure out what's going on with the brake? It feels like the brake is constantly engaging. The pads are basically riding against the rotor at all times. (the new pads I installed are the Suzuki GP125's-which are the same I believe as the Zong's)

Anybody have a similar situation when replacing the pads? The option I'm considering now is just to replace the caliper.

Thanks...happy riding.

<!--2006 Sierra 200 GY-2 owner>