View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #7

some wonderful destruction

It's a 2014.

Changed engine oil and tranny oil. Nothing scary in the oil screen.

Pulled the CVT cover and was delighted to see:

... an imploded drive belt. This could be Good News if that's why "it quit working".

I'd never seen one in person that had come apart; holy crap. Looked like a bomb went off in there. Luckily I already had a replacement Gates on order and it will be here in a couple days. The NGK plug and fuel/vacuum lines are in so I'll pull the plastics tomorrow and replace those. Will also set the valves tomorrow.

The battery was charged by this morning but appears to be very weak -- no surprise there. The signals / markers/ brakelights/horn work but no headlights. Dunno if they are burned from overvoltage or if a fuse/switch is dead. The weak battery will activate the starter but it doesn't have enough oomph to turn the motor. I can move the motor by hand so it's not seized.

THat's enough for tonight. Will pick it up tomorrow again.

CORRECTION - turns out the battery is not dead. The shredded belt shards in the front pully was preventing the engine from turning over very far. The scooter started but the exhaust manifold is clearly loose. I shut it off - both nuts are missing that should be holding the header onto the exhaust port. Doh!

Past: 2012 Honda NC700x, 2014 Taotao ATM-50-A1, 2014 Taotao Evo, 19?? Honda Spree 50, 1982 Katana 550

Last edited by fratermus; 03-29-2016 at 04:28 AM.