View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Last time I looked it up Zongshen was claiming to manufacture 2 million motorcycles annually. That is not including engine sales to other brands. And Zongshen Industrial Group is mainly OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Is a manufacturer and business partner for many famous brands like: Piaggio, Selva, Harley Davidson, Barbieri, BMW. And leader on garden machines industry. On their website they say over 4 million motorcycle engines annually. They say they have over 200 spare parts manufacturers supporting them.
OK...It may be a conservative estimate that Zongshen makes/supplies more than 100x more engines worldwide than Lifan "assembles" for their product line. I suspect that Lifan is just a subcontractor for many of their engine components.

We know NOTHING about industry strife in China, and the quality control on contracts to subcontractors like Lifan. Conflicts can be regional, and in such a large manufacturing system, we have no idea of the relationship between cam makers, or crankshaft makers, or transmission part makers with their subcontract corps. Maybe they are getting top QC checked parts. Maybe there is no "politics" involved. It is a black box.

Sure. Make me laugh