View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #2478

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Is anyone else impressed with the polish and finish on the internal engine and fork parts? It's one thing to see a nice polish on metal parts like handlebars, but seeing a good finish on internal parts shows attention to detail.

Two questions on the RX3 forks:
  1. Is there any need to protect inverted forks from dirt and rock damage (in addition to the fork guards) ... fork boots? gaiters?
  2. Is there any need for a fork brace (like this one) to strengthen an inverted fork?
I'm not at all surprised by Zongshen quality. I'm quite certain there is a Yamaha link there somewhere.

If I had an RX-3, I'd likely remove the stock fork protectors and install conventional inverted forks shields. While the lower section of the fork doesn't enter the seal, it is still susceptible to rock and sand damage, which can break down the chrome and start rust.

A fork brace is an excellent idea on a supermoto, but I don't think it's necessary on this bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer