View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #2487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm not at all surprised by Zongshen quality. I'm quite certain there is a Yamaha link there somewhere.

If I had an RX-3, I'd likely remove the stock fork protectors and install conventional inverted forks shields. While the lower section of the fork doesn't enter the seal, it is still susceptible to rock and sand damage, which can break down the chrome and start rust.

A fork brace is an excellent idea on a supermoto, but I don't think it's necessary on this bike.
A fork brace is absolutely unnecessary for 37mm USD forks. USD forks were invented for two main reasons: make the forks stiffer without requiring a fork brace, and lower the unsprung weight of the front wheel.

Because of the front fender supports, I don't think one can easily install conventional fork guards. In the worst case scenario, I would install fork tubes the first time I had the forks disassembled. The fork tubes would fit under the fender and stock fork guards, and would not detract from the bike's appearance. Indeed, the fork tubes would be hardly noticeable. I would secure the ends of the fork tube with zip ties. You could snip one of the zip ties periodically, and lift the fork tube to inspect for oil seal leaks. Of course, you would need to ensure the right fork tube does not abrade the speedometer pickup cable as the forks expand and contract.

However, I suspect the stock fender and lower fork guards do a pretty good job of covering the inner fork tubes. Of course, we will know more regarding this subject after our bikes arrive. Perhaps Katflap can tell us how well the stock equipment protects the lower fork tubes from mud, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894