View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_damage
Ok, i will do the test and report results.
Just few more questions,
1. Witch type of oil should i use in test (eg. fine mehanical oil or engine oil) ?
2. Why do i need to open fully trottle ? ( i didnt pull it in previous measuring compression, will it affect results) ?
3. Lets assume that ring and cylinder is warn, do i need to change them bouth ?
Thanks
1. Ordinary engine oil.
2. To allow the maximum amount of air into the cylinder. A closed throttle puts up a lot of resistance to air flow.
3. On inspection you may find the cylinder is OK and you can get away with just the rings. The cylinder will have to be inspected for scoring, etc and measured. You can get a quick idea of the state by just lifting the head and dropping the piston a little way down the bore. The top of the bore is not reached by the piston rings and will be the original diameter. if you feel with a fingernail and you don't detect a "ridge" or step, it's probably OK to re-use.

There is a problem with this. The bore, after a long service will be "glazed" and it'll have to be honed to bust that glaze and allow the new rings to break-in properly as well as renewing the oil-retaining surface finish of a new bore. Otherwise the rings will not bed-in properly and will never give you full compression.

A shop should be able to do a honing operation while you wait using their honing tool. There are several shade tree techniques though, but it's better to do it properly.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy