View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Errr, in the picture of mine the FRONT brake is for cosmetic purposes. I went from a spool hub like 15 years a go with the idea it would be nice to have a bit of hill holding ability with a front mini brake. Never did hook the cable up though. One day I was going for a ride and it wouldn't roll out of the garage. Turns out the mini brake shoes had debonded and fell off the backing plates. So I tossed them and since then the front brake has REALLY been just decorative. Been riding with only a rear drum since 1987.

I got in a kickstart contest at a meet once. Came in second behind a guy with a Panhead. Other than being an easier bike to start his main advantage was he had a kill switch where I had to turn my key off. Beat me by two kickstarts in a 60 second run. That was long time ago and I'm sure I was a lot healthier. But still today, every once in a while on a hot start it will kick right off with barely a touch of the kicker. Makes me grin like a possum every time.
Mine's an XLH so is supposed to have an electric starter also. Never did. I bought a used starter some 30 years ago. Never put it on the bike and don't even know if it works. I have it though.
Your Ironhead is badass! You did a lot that I wish I could have done at the time, like the Big Twin tank setup and the deep, double-decker chopper seat. Back then, my X was doing her best to make my life miserable, and any form up personal upgrades on my part were seen as more meat on the bone for her to gnaw off. ;-)

My brother in law has changed mine up a lot since the olden days. He's a tinkerer and it always seems to be in some form of tear-down. Now he's talking about making it bone-stock, if he can find all the parts. He'll have to completely redo it though since neither rim is stock size.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350