View Single Post
Old 06-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #2

so, this week I dug into the electricals of the bike. wiring diagrams do little to tell you what plug connects to what. Chilton's manuals with B/W pictures don't help much either.

I replaced the main fuse holder and figured out my brown wire connection to get the headlight working. Not without a lot of head scratching though.

I got a new starter solenoid and installed that along with the main fuse holder. I figured that was the reason for the bike not starting without jumping between the posts. It didn't though, and I had a tough time figureing out the reason for my starter button not turning the bike over. I finally figured out that the PO had removed a starter switch relay and hidden the connector behind the front chain guard. Once I discovered that, there's a bypass to get around that. I made up a jumper wire and got that working.

Speaking of bypasses, the PO had bypassed the clutch/neutral safety switch. it had a jumper wire already installed and based on videos, it appeared to have been done properly. The other bypass was for the kickstand safety. the kickstand safety had been removed, but the bypass jumper wire was not done. I fixed that up too.

Once all these things were straightened out, I was able to start the bike properly.

You might ask why do the bypasses. basically, it's so that there's less potential issues to crop up when out in the back country adventure riding. I'm a bit hesitant, but understand the value-add. It might take a little time to get used to the process, but I think it will be fine. The safety nazi's are probably rolling over in their graves.

I also got new footpegs for the bike to replace the OEM ones. I received my new front tire and tube (including a spare tube) but have not installed it yet. I got a new rear sprocket, also not installed yet.

I'm waiting on a rear tire and tube. when I get that I'll change the rear and also install the sprocket. I'll do the front as well. I ordered a header cover (OEM used one). it will look a little better than the rusty header pipe. also have the radiator and new hoses on the way. I'll wait to swap all that stuff out at the same time. The radiator is beat up, but not leaking. I figured it should be replaced just to be safe. New clutch lever is pending as well. the current one works but is broken and can only engage it with two fingers.

I still need to order turn signals and a wind screen. And still need to get title/registration/plates too. Not sure if I'll have time today. perhaps next week.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.