View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 10:48 AM   #10

forums value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
... low prices are great, but there's no dealer network, and mechanics can't guarantee their work because they are not backed up by a parts warrantee from the manufacturer. There isn't a manual, and it's hard to find part numbers or replacement parts!! Buyers just have to take on the responsibility and live with it. ...
Exactly !

I've been wrenching on (usually high performance) cars for >50 years; but, do I want to spend my (little left riding) time chasing all over the Internet, looking for 'equivalent' parts, diagnoses and torque specifications ... for a machine that could ruin (or take) my life in an instant? ... or leave me stranded somewhere without chances of finding/acquiring needed parts for weeks?

In addition to 'how to' information, forums alert us to potential (future) problems, we didn't even realize were a threat, so we can take care of them before they become problems.

Absent such information & guidance, we're left to rely upon previous experience - not always specifically existent (I certainly don't 'know it all') to, effectively, reinvent every upcoming wheel.

Do I want to spend my limited riding time left doing that? ... not if I can identify alternatives!