View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Looks like everything is being run on DC in the diagram but the black wire from the regulator shows no connection. Very different than how the Lifan 163 FML is wired on my bike. The regulator is different too but may be the same internally.

I suspect that the DC output from the regulator is insufficient to power the lights and that going AC on the lights will solve the problem. Could the black wire from the regulator be regulated AC output?
The black wire is often a Voltage sense input for the Voltage regulator. If so, it should be tied to switched, fused power.

A unique feature of the Voltage sense input is the ability to "adjust" the Voltage on your bike. The regulator circuitry constantly analyzes Voltage on the Black wire, boosting or reducing output to maintain 13.8 Volts DC on the Black wire.

For example, if you connect the Black wire at the ignition switch output, there is slightly less Volts there than at the headlight. The Voltage drop is due to switch, wire, and headlight resistance. If you tap into the wiring at the head light, overall Volts will be slightly higher. If you place a 22 Ohm resistor in the Black wire, Volts will climb further since the "sensed" Voltage is less.

Have seen a few Black regulator outputs wired to power electric chokes.

I looked and do not have the '82 XL125S RC diagram. I have a 1977 XL125S diagram. That scan would be interesting to see.

Jon

Last edited by InventorPardue; 10-08-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added note about scan