Thread: DeSoto
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #152

The carb rebuild was a success, if a bit confusing. My Dad was the last person inside that carb and I hate to say it, but Dad should stick to body work. Float height below the top of the carb body should be somewhere, depending on what document you read, between 1/16-5/64". I shit you not, the float height was at least 1/4" below the top of the carb body. Explains a lot of drivability problems.

The confusion comes from the fact that Carter made nearly 50 versions of the B&B and only provided a general rebuild guide for all of them. The carbs used on Chrysler products with the semi auto trans have a whole 'n other set of passages, linkages, pistons, springs and valves. None of that is in the general guide. Some of the needed info I found in the DeSoto shop manual and some on a DeSoto forum.

Now I have better starting, smoother idle, no more stalling at stops, better acceleration, no more low speed miss while rolling through town in high gear, and the kick down is now 100%. Before the rebuild, I'd be lucky to get it at all.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts