View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #20

So as bike enthusiasts we can all agree that there are specific focal points to a bike, the wheels and engine draw the eye but I think we can all agree its the fuel tank that is the jewel on the crown...well maybe more so for classic metal tank bikes then modern plastics...

My XL185 was more of a sore thumb than a jewel. But it was all exterior. The inside was perfect with just a little crusty fuel varnish inside. I put a little fresh fuel in the tank and added some BB's/ball bearings to help dislodge the residue give a shake once a day till it cleaned up then used a magnet on a stick to remove the BB's

Side note: if you looking to buy a classic bike with a metal tank always look inside the tank...Dealing with a crusty internal tank is often a lost cause. Time and cost to repair typically isn't worth it.

So back to restoring the jewel. Paint strip, wire wheel, dremel the nooks, more sanding, clean, rust treat, bog and putty, more sanding, more bog and putty, sanding, etchprime, paint and clear coat.

It's all about the preparation! But this is my Beginner bike and I am going to drop it. So at some point after hours of prep you just gotta get on with it.

Important for my was that the rust was treated and the major dings were undinged*

but when you start applying paint you will notice the imperfections...

Did I mention it's all about Preparation!!!

Anyway for my first time painting a fuel tank I am happy with the result

the colour is Dupli-Color Autospray Regency Red Pearl. I was going for a Sour Cherry look.

IMO better than Honda's flame reds...

I do have new custom tank decals but I waiting till final stages of fitment before applying them. Stay tuned
Attached Images