View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Just to expand the thread a little farther still, What does everyone consider the most critical piece of gear to have, not counting a brain container? Myself I would say a jacket, and specifically, a good jacket. No World of Walton, or Sears Roebuck allowed. Third, Gloves. Again, gooders. Beyond that, I'm more than willing to Cheap out/Not have/Leave in closet.

Thinking back to when I first started riding, my first moto-horse cost me about $200, and I thought I was doing good with a 25+ year old Woolco Ping-Pong ball cut out Helmet, and a $25 Generico denim jacket, maybe some work gloves, if it was really, really cold out.

So! Here's the scenario-- You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying? Other than beer and smokes of course...

--Vince who did read the thread about the poor lady's knees.
I recently pondered a similar question, only going at it from a different angle. That question was...."if you had to give up one peice of gear, what would it be?". My answer to that is really easy....earplugs. They were the last thing I added to my gear, and I still can't stand them. In fact, yesterday I stopped and pulled them out. I think I'll save them for hiway rides.

As for your question...I think I'd go with a good jacket w/ armor in the elbows, shoulders and over the spine. That seems to cover some of the most important internal organs (aside from the brain).

No, wait. I take that back. If I could only add one bit of gear in addition to the helmet, I'd go with a full one-peice leather suit...

Only having $100 to spend on it means that I'd have to buy used...but I'd have a few extra bucks since I quit smoking in 97 and never have liked beer. In the past I'd spend the beer money on a bottle of Crown, but I haven't done that in several years either. I know I can buy a full textile suit for $150 new, so a used leather suit for $150 might be possible.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project