View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
katflap, thanks for posting the diagram and thanks to spud for the link showing more details of the cooling system. Funny that the thermostat is not listed on any CSC parts lists. Now, if the thermostat is closed we get just a tiny bit of circulation via that hole in the thermostat and the engine should heat up quickly but would be prone to hot spots. At 82C the thermostat opens. We should see two bars before the 'stat opens and then climb to three bars unless there is too much cooling. Even at three bars the engine is only at 176F. I can now see how the engine might struggle to burn off any fuel or water that accumulates in the crankcase, it's just not getting hot enough. A thermobob downstream of the thermostat would divert flow around the radiator while still allowing flow through the engine and thus avoiding hot spots. Looks like it is time for a bit of IR thermometer checks.
Yes, the lack of some kind of bypass I thought was odd too.

and the over cooling is a concern

I hadn't heard of thermobob before, but have just checked It out.
something like this I think would definitely be of benefit

I haven't checked the CSC site for a thermostat but I think it's sold already installed if you buy the thermostat housing. At some point I will take my thermostat housing apart to see if the thermostat is a standard size.

I would be really interested in your results from your IR thermometer.

I wonder how they will compare to the temp sensors on the thermostat housing.