View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Topeka Hawk Bought in OK Finally Titled

Well the August follow-up was optimistic! Actually took 115 days to go through Kansas' "Quiet Title" process. One problem was that filing the original "suit", I interpreted the law as OK to move forward to a judge's decision if the seller ignored the notification by certified mail (through the Sheriff's Dept). A Kansas DOR attorney worked with me, through the mail and a couple of phone calls, indicating I needed to also have the seller sign a statement waiving any interest in the vehicle. I drafted it up myself, pretty much like a bill of sale after the bill of sale! That finally got the judge's final decision, allowing a KHP VIN inspection, and finally tag and title. I'm posting here and on one other thread from a Salina owner who hit some snags, offering to help Hawk owners, especially Kansans, through the process should you find yourself in a similar DMV nightmare. Lessons learned: 1st owner ONLY with MCO (that first Hawk owner MUST title in their state before selling to avoid the mess), Out of state titles OK, even salvage, just need Highway Patrol VIN Inspections. Future buying will probably be limited to in-state clean titles.