View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #17

Initial thoughts

Well after waiting out the heat and a short rainstorm I took the trike out for a test ride. First off the CV carb sucks, throttle response is very slow, but the kit I'm buying comes with a performance carb that isn't vacuum operated.

I am impressed at the amount of torque the bike has and it accelerates quickly to 45mph, but then it starts running out of gear and rpm. So it creeps up to 50, and eventually 53mph on the flat road. And a steep incline will bring it down to 40mph. I realize it's not broke in yet but stock I don't see those numbers getting much better. Just for $#its and giggles I took it out to a gravel hill that's so steep I have to lock in my Toyota 4x4 just to climb it, and mind you it's about an 1/8th mile long. By the time I reached the top I was only doing 19mph, but it made it. I also took it down a long pavement hill and achieved 64mph, which felt a little sketchy.

The digital cluster seems to be fairly accurate, but the fuel gauge is not. When you get down to half a tank the gauge is flashing empty. The hydraulic disc brakes are outstanding, and the rear works better than the front on gravel because that's where all the weight is and a huge contact patch. The mirrors suck, they give you a good view of your shoulders and not much else, so some aftermarket ones are in order.

Now on to the handling. Let's just say it's a singular sensation. Because of the solid rear axle it doesn't like to turn, AT ALL, and requires both hands on the bars to negotiate a curve. That being said it is surprisingly stable even taking a curve at 45mph, and on a straight stretch it requires very little steering input.

On to the suspension. The front forks are plush and handle pot holes well, and don't dive under heavy braking. The rear shocks however are a different story. I've got both of them set at the lowest preload and it still feels like riding a hard tail Harley Davidson. They barely compress when my 260lbs climbs aboard and if you catch a pothole with one of the rear tires it's bone jarring. A shock upgrade is definitely on the list.

Rider comfort. I'm a little too big for the thing, so some handlebar risers are needed, and I'm gonna fab a bracket to attach highway pegs or floor boards to.

Wow factor. I stopped at a couple of buddies houses and they had never seen anything like it. The fit and finish is on par too. The metallic burgundy looks great with the polished aluminum rims. In person it's a sharp looking machine.
Attached Images

2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400