View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #9

Hi Kentucky,

I agree. My problem up here is that the brand name used ATVs just aren't a good deal. Sure, there've been a couple OK deals, but nothing great - and after talking to the local mechanics that fix all the ATVs, I'm not convinced that $6k for a used Polaris/ Can-Am/ Honda/ Yamaha/ etc is better spent than $4k on a "good" chinese atv.

Part of it is that the used market up here SUCKS - it's not like in Vancouver or down in the USA where sweet deals hang like overripe fruit in a neglected orchard. People who ride up here ride hard, and I've found a lot of people want more than fair value for their used machines.

Recent example, tried buying a used Polaris 4x4 - a 500 HO, 2003. The ask was for $4k. It was in rougher shape. One of those 'really' used ATVs, but cared for. He wouldn't take $3,500 - and they are selling for $5,900 brand new at the dealer! I saw a deal in Vancouver for a new Polaris with a trailer for $6k.

Also, the local mechanic said "DONT BUY A POLARIS" - He has 4 of them in his shop at any given time. My uncle has 2 Polaris's that are often in the dealer for repairs. The 4x4 systems go on them, it is a new belt a year for my uncle on his polaris.

I've been mostly happy with my Gio Beast limited. The frame is MUCH better quality than the Tao Tao - it is machine welded and much heavier duty. It also has a nice heavy chain that's been far less problematic than the light chain on the Tao. But I am having issues with the gearing and clutch.

Anyhow, that is my ramble. I am still searching the used channels almost daily for a decent deal on a 4x4, hoping to find something reasonable before the fall! There is a guy here with a Can-Am 4x4 only 2 years old, was $14k new, ask is $6k. Only "problem" is that it is more racing ATV and not the trail atv w racks etc that I am looking for.

-jb