View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #21

So I was starting to have some idle issues with the bike, and it would not stay running at idle, so I decided it was time to change the carb out to the Mikuni. I am at sea level, and decieded to start with the 30 pilot, and 120 main jet. The air screw came preset at 2 1/2 turns out, and I left it at that to start with. The bike started right up with the choke on, and ran perfect once the choke was turned off. The bike idles soooo much better. No driveability issues at all, idle, very light throttle, heavy throttle, and WOT throttle were spot on. All I had to do is just make a very small adjustment to the idle.

One thing to note was the cap on the top of the stock carb were the throttle cable goes through was loose, and not seated. This could have been causing some of the issues, but I had already taken everything apart so Installed the new Mikuni carb anyway.

You will need to remove the plastics, seat, gas tank, loosen the two nuts holding the carb to the intake manifold, air box clamp, pull the carb towards the air box, and push it down, remove the upper intake manifold bolt, loosen the lower intake manifold bolt, swing the intake manifold out of the way, and remove the original carb, and install the new one. Then assemble everything back together.

I was also able to reuse the stock throttle cable with no modifications. There where also no cleance issues with the new carb. Great upgrade. Next project will be to take the bowl off the stock carb to see how it was set form the factory.