View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

Sounds nice.

Yes completely remove the canister. Then keep only the vent line that comes from the gas tank and the vent for the crank case.

The stator on the 125 IIRC is not a direct swap. There isn't anything wrong with the stator in the 190. It is plug in play for the hellcat. The wires are the same color and works fine.

You want to make sure you get stronger engine bolts. Also pick up a Grom rear axle and swing arm bolt (they are the same part number), Grom cush drive and hub. The originals on the hellcat will break/bend with the 190.

Replace all fuel lines with silicon fuel lines, I went with 1/4 inch from tank to fuel filter into carb. Get a nicer fuel filter and don't forget to change the oil filter once in a while.

When you install the 190 you want the manifold facing the rear of the bike not the front. You'll notice the top of the carb comes in close contact with the mount for the petcock. You will no longer be able to mount the petcock there. I chose not to use a petcock and plan on grinding off the mount.

I have the zinc coated engine bolts. Metric ratings are different than imperial so the strength should be 10.9.

Don't worry about the choke cable that will be gone as soon as the 190 goes in with the PE carb.
Depending on where you ordered your ZS from most come with a kit. Pitsterpro for example includes clutch and throttle cable as well as everything else you need. Also use the coil wire that comes with the kit.

Recently ZS started shipping motors with a "keeper" for the shift star to prevent the detent arm from popping out and going in front of the shift star. Even if you just ordered the motor most likely it is not going to be from the latest China batch and will not have the keeper. Without the keeper... - false neutrals, popping in and out of gear which can lead to a disaster. You need to do this fix for sure if yours does not have it.

If your carb is jetted and somewhat tuned starting the ZS isn't a problem. Use the choke if you have to, don't touch the throttle, then let it warm up. Set idle to 2k. One thing I've never broken was the starter chain.

If you can cancel the ZS 190 order and get a real Daytona 190 do it. Even with the shift star fix the tranny is garbage.

T-Bolt EZ Start CDI with 5-wire adapter.
I have this but haven't put it on yet.

I don't think you need the 5-wire adapter. IIRC the CDI on the hellcat is the same one used on the Quantum 150 and has a connector like...
https://partskit.com/product/103271

I would not get that exhaust. I would get something from Kepspeed or here. That thing is loud and has a smaller diameter header. Grom exhausts are not a direct fit. The 125 and the 190 connect to the motor at an angle.

I hate the stock headlight assembly. Mad Eye or Harley bucket light for the win.
If you're going to replace the bulb, not all will fit in the odd headlight housing even though the connection (H4) is correct. If you have taken it off you will see how the main bulb goes in. These fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FGDT6Q4

Don't forget LED running light bulb

These control levers will mount on the stock perch and are decent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08318KDF2

AllsBalls wheel bearings for sure. Don't skimp on a cheap universal fender delete. https://www.motodynamic.com/ Ones for a 2014 grom work and if you decide to forego the rear turn signal for an integrated turnsignal/brake light combo do not skimp on that either. Those inexpensive ones are not bright enough to be seen in the day.

The clone PE carbs that come with the ZS are hit or miss. Look into a genuine Keihin PE 28 or Nibbi. Don't forget a jet kit 38/120 is a good place to start.

You'll also want an oil catch can if you plan on running the motor hard at top speed. These motors are notorious for blow back and you don't want oil all over the rear tire at 75/80.

Also on the 2018/2019s the voltage regulator bracket... the welds that hold it onto the frame are garbage. The bracket will break off. But once you do the canister delete you can bolt the voltage regulator directly to the frame. Yes it will reach.

The suspension is awful. I haven't started on that yet.

Last but not least, a universal alarm remote start will plug right into the aux port up front by the headlight. I love it.

Not that I know everything just going over everything I learned the hard way.

Last edited by scoot newb; 04-27-2020 at 05:37 AM.