View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisguga View Post
This is quite a build. I definitely get the idea of treating like a kit bike and the fun and challenge of the build, but I can’t help but think you’d just be better off buying a a Grom when you’re changing so much on the bike.

I guesstimate I enjoy projects about equally with riding, and I already have a bike that is pretty sweet for riding. I really wanted a project and as much as I hate admitting it, I never ever intended to not engine swap. You can see from my brief overview of last year's big project push that I tend to go a little overboard. I would say that as far as things go for me, I am leaving this one pretty well alone and just doing the bare necessities.

Plus, the market here is absolutely insane. People are just out of their minds with asking prices.
Name:  insanity1.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  98.1 KB
4k out the door + ZS190 + brackets and everything else I have already had to buy + gas tank (or 2300+ used)

Hellcat puts me 1300 ahead of a used 2014 Grom minus the PO's neglect/stunting/etc.

The XJ has been sitting the past week because the exhaust needs adjustment. Aftermarket means it needs a repack. Getting a touch lean in the high revs where the 4-2 scavenges a bit too well unless it has good packing. UPS elected to mark my packing as undeliverable due to 'unmet security requirement.' I live behind a gate so it's not unusual for delivery drivers to just mark as undeliverable if they are running behind on a route.

Customs paperwork on the exhaust was completed yesterday so... I guess that means I might see it in the future. Maybe even this week. Jets-r-us got me my package rather quickly. I love those guys. I now have pilots 38-42 and mains 115-125. I'd totally colortune the 190 but Gunson wants $25 for the 12mm adapter

I also found one of these little guys:
Name:  chokeadapt.JPG
Views: 1312
Size:  88.5 KB
Hello again my friend, working clutch controls. I haven't had the chance to miss you yet, but I know I would! Might have to cast a diff size lead slug on the end of the cable, but that should be no biggie.

I also figured out what I want to do about an oil cooler! This lil guy is about 10" wide at the core, which happens to be about the same size as the massive gap between the plastics left by removing the airbox. Would a curved KLX cooler look better? Yes. Was this less expensive? By about 3-4x. This whole DIY oil cooler setup was about $81. All parts are pressure rated to at least 300PSI. 1500PSI for the lines.
Red = cut off
Blue = Bend 90* to attach to bracket shaped like |________| so the long face can mount to the kitaco bracket and the bent cooler 'wings' will mount to the end parts.
Name:  rad.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  53.1 KB
Add a splash of AN-6 Braided stainless tubing:
Name:  tubez.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  83.2 KB
Finish off the engine side with some M10x1.25 to AN-6 fittings:
Name:  fittingz.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  87.5 KB
In my headspace and memory of fluid dynamics from college it should be straight-up Bernoulli in the oil cooler. The cooler has oversized passages compared to the engine, so fluid speed should be slower within the rad compared to the engine. This will allow more time for the temperature to fall. That said, heat transfer is proportional to delta T so who knows. Plus once the engine reaches steady-state equilibrium it's all moot anyway.

I am jealous of scoot_newb's tail light. That thing is bright as frig. I am a little too cheap to buy it.