View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

New UK Skyteam V-Raptor 250 - Lights for the Forks

I bought some bright white LED bar lights for fitting to the forks. They were avertised as waterproof. Only cost a few £'s. So waterproof, yeah NOT.

Basically you could see the bare soldered joints which were open to the elements. I thought about chucking them out, but instead, spent $5 for a tube of clear bath sealant. You can buy tubes about the size of toothpaste so you dont have to buy a fitters sized tube, use a bit, put it in the toolbox and discover it has set hard by next week.

So, a photo of the fairly cheap and nasty lights - open wiring

A close-up with the clip-on back cover removed

A blob of sealant on each connection

Before and after

Making a silicon grommet

This is where I read the instructions to use "in a well ventilated space". Even the dog was smiling by this stage.

Refitted into the front holder and a bead of silicon spread around the whole thing. It looks far messier than it does in real life - the camera never lies, right?

Now, this is why I wasn't worried by neatness ( )

I fitted the double-sided strip to the light whilst the silicon was still fairly wet. This meant that the strip pushed into the silicon, forcing it out at the sides. A damp cloth wiped away any excess. It also meant the strip fitted tightly to the light.

In the best CSI style, here are the lights against a pencil. Of course you don't know the pencil isn't 3 feet long, but you will have to trust me on this one.

The tools of the trade.

I will be fitting them soon, tomorrow is forecast to be hot, thunder, lightning and a plague of something or other. I may fit them tomorrow . . .

Jeff
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .