Thread: Rpoc
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 06:21 PM   #656

So, one step forward, two steps back. At least until today.

I was having all sorts of issues with the right cylinder and thought that I may have effed something up. I did, kinda, but I got that fixed. I brain farted on the fuel screw adjustment on the carbs. It's 1.5 turns out in the summer and 2 in the cold months. Not 2 and 2.5. So I was running pretty rich.

Then the right cylinder started doing nothing at all. Well, it was flooding, so I guess that's something. Anyway, I pulled that carb and yanked the bowl. Float height is supposed to be 15.5mm. Why the hell is this one at 17.5mm? I pulled the float and the needle and found a piece of white plastic partially blocking the seat. The only thing between the carb and the tank is a fuel filter. I cut the filter open and the plastic on the downstream side of the internal filter is de-laminating. Sunuva...

So, I yanked both fuel filters and shit canned them. The extras of the same brand followed those into the trash. I found a couple of B&S inline filters in my stash and will use these for the time being.

Once I got the crud out of the carb and back together, I put it back on Arpok, kicked the engine over, and got an instant, if smokey, start that settled down into a smooth idle. Both exhaust pipes were burny to the touch. Yay?

Got the carbs balanced again and we are back to a one kick start again. Thanks to the aftermarket and oval pushrod tube seals I have, I have a good(bad)oil leak that I'm dealing with and have almost got that fixed.

So all I have left to do is the front hub to replace.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts