View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #1

Hensim DB 150 experience

Some info on my Hensim DB-150.
I haven't completed the break in process yet, but here are my comments thus far.

Bike arrived with only minor shipping rash - nothing serious to me (it is a trail bike after all)
Came with owners manual, parts manual, and Certificate of Origin.

No setup manual, but I didn't need one anyway. What needed to be installed after removing from the crate:
- front tire
- left footpeg with sidestand
- right footpeg with rear brake pedal (and return spring)
- rear exhaust bolt
- rear shock lower linkage bolt
- side number plates (removed seat to install)
- front number plate
- front fender
- fork protectors
- handlebars
- clutch perch on handlebars

If I just wanted to slap it together and go it would have been about 1 1/2 - 2 hours (possibly less)... but I wanted to do a little more than that so it took considerably longer.

Major issues / concerns:
- none so far

Minor details:
- very slight warp in front rotor, but it should be fine for what the bike is intended to do for me
- bearings in steering have flat spot feel to them (I was going to tear it apart and confirm if they were bad, but decided to ride it and see if it becomes a problem -- this is just a play bike for me anyway)
- front spokes; a few just needed to be snugged up - wheel was true enough (rear seemed ok out of the box)
- there was no oil on the air filter foam; easy enough to fix
- I pulled and greased the axles; I’ve always done this to my bikes
- checked torque... everything was close enough to spec, a couple were right at the bottom end of the spec scale
- put blue thread lock and lock washers on many of the bolts
- lubed the clutch and throttle cables; throttle cable seemed to need it
- heat shield bolts came loose quickly on exhaust (even with lock washers), I will check frequently and possibly tack weld them in place if needed.
- replaced the oem Champion P-RA7HC spark plug with NGK DR7EA (also bought a DR8EA, will monitor and determine correct heat range as I get more time on the motor)
- changed oil & inspected the little screen oil filter

General comments:
- I wish the exhaust was just a little less throaty/load; quiet is better if I had a choice
- suspension is very basic (but I knew that before I bought it)
- power is pretty solid for a small 4 stroke motor; I'm pleased
- didn’t want to idle very well and had a slight bog – especially when cold; it’s only 45 degrees out so jetting may not be correct… I’m not concerned, that stuff isn’t usually too hard to correct.
- I'm anxious to hit some hills and see if gearing is going to be a problem - I may need a larger rear sprocket.
- I'm not sure if I will be able to get a title in Ohio with the unsigned Certificate of Origin that came with it, but I don't think I'll be riding at the state/national forests so I may not title it anyway (and I think resale market is non-existent on these bikes .)

Overall, I think for the price this bike is a good deal. It's got some area's that could be improved upon if they wanted to compete with the big 4, but then the price would have to jump.

If you're not mechanically inclined then I would suggest finding a reputable dealer to do the prep for you. Otherwise, the communication I've had with Hensim USA and Ray at www.motofanatix.com prior to and after the sale have all been positive to this point.

I'll have more updates later, but realistically probably not anything substantial until spring - not sure how much quality riding I'll be getting in during the winter.
'02 Kawasaki KX125