View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #22

The CDI is from Casoli, one of the gold 6 pin units. It has a rev limiter built in, which I prefer to be honest, and is suppose to have an advanced timing curve. Is it better than stock? I believe it does work better although I had to tune the carb differently for it. The stock unit has a nice smooth idle and ok rev up. The Casoli unit causes a bit of light burp and farts at idle but the ramp up response from idle to full throttle is insane! It did actually wake up the motor if you have a few mods like we do. Only my opinion though.

The 450X (not R) chassis is really nice to work with. No cutting to fit these motors. It is different from all the rest of the bike frames in the CRF lineup and is obviously a bit larger due to the stock 450X having electric start etc. which makes these conversions so nice. The Zong 250 motors fit right in you'd think it was design for it. The main front mount lines up perfect with the top front motor mount on the zong with no extra brackets, just spacers for the bolt through. It was easy to weld a few extra tabs for the other motor mounts and for extra assurance I made a bracket setup for the back that allows the swing-arm pivot bolt to act as a support like the stock CRF motors but it really isn't necessary, just extra assurance.

My biggest hurtle was the wiring. I've done electronics all my life and this is extremely basic wiring but the routing of the wires (since it's not the CRF setup) was a bit tricky. Having to over think it so it was still all accessible but safely tucked away in the frame.

Only other thing was a bit if plastic modding to the stock 450X fuel tank. It's over sized from the factory and sits low in the frame which hit the tall head of this air-cooled zong motor. Basically heat with a paint stripper gun and slowly push the bottom bulge inward. A bit of work but turned out nice.

Anyway, I'm rambling.