View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #36

The ebay exhaust that I bought was advertised as fitting the monkey/z50. In the pictures of the actual item in the ebay listing, it doesn't show a very good view of the piece that bolts to the engine, that piece has a very... early(?) bend on it. I was looking at the picture of the exhaust that was installed on the bike - the 90 degree bend coming out of the engine looks very smooth, sweeping, and mandrel bent.

I attached a picture of a bike that obviously isn't mine that has what looks like the exact same exhaust I bought, as well as a pic of a section of the exhaust I bought. See the 90 degree bend right where the exhaust bolts to the engine? It looks like someone cut off that a bit too early, so the bend is less smooth and tucks under the engine more. Yeah, I really suck at explaining physical properties of items through text.

I need that bend to be long and sweeping, not cut off.

I've been looking at other dax/monkey ebay exhausts and a few look like they might clear the starter. Here are some examples. I don't think an "over" exhaust system will work with the fuel pump being on that side with no real place to move it to and the plastic fairings being in such close proximity. However, another undertail exhaust might work.

I'm also going to try and return the exhaust I bought, the seller offers free returns for 30 days so I just need to buy or dig up some bubble wrap and send it back to them.

Also, last night I (tried) to test fit the stock/oem exhaust system just to see if I would have that option. Nope. The exhaust pipe just touches one of the bolts on the end of the starter before the exhaust is completely bolted into the engine and frame.

More also. I would have to grind away quite a bit of the rearset to make clearance for the kick starter, so I more or less HAVE TO find an exhaust that fits.

Such is the life of a modder.
Attached Images