View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #41

Modifications were what killed the idea of liquor scooters in Arizona. Just in the small city of Yuma, alone, I recall 3 deaths with 50cc scooters prior to the 2015 law; two were snowbirds who killed themselves running into cars, or crushed by cars, or something (I think one was the car driver's fault, the other the rider's fault) and one, a drunken 15 year old girl ran into a 90+ year old pedestrian and was never charged, then was charged, and then, who knows what they did with that case?! I think there must have been a lot of carnage in Phoenix, which wouldn't surprise me considering how much everyone thinks that 35 MPH roads are 75 MPH roads. There were lots of people modifying them, not to mention I recall it mentioned that there were scooters identical to each other in both 50cc and 150cc versions. So, nowadays, everyone needs a motorcycle endorsement to ride most anything, the only loopholes seem to being two-stroke bicycle engine kits, and those high-powered electric bicycles (which are technically regulated in California to needing a moped license at the least to ride one).

I am annoyed that Arizona didn't compromise and allow for 50cc scooters to be ridden using a standard driver's license because it ruined a whole bunch of scooter rental ideas I had floating in my head

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard