View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

Much better on dirt roads than the Ninja. Much better on the highway than the TW. I've done SS1000s and BB1500s on both, and the RX3 is clearly superior to either for long distance highways, but the RX3 is not a coast-to-coast road burner. The TW is slower by about 15mph at all things, is not nearly as comfortable (especially with the thick seat from CSC on the RX3). On the other hand, the Ninja is also a terrible choice for long highway rides because the ergos are closer to appropriate for racing rather than touring--the Ninja kills my back and hands--just does not fit me. But, the Ninja is 15mph faster.

The RX3 is not a crotch rocket, nor a mud hog. It is between the two in all things. The RX3 does quite well at a much wider range of things than the other two, but foregoes excellence at a small number of extremes at which one of the other two are excellent.

Now, any 250 with 25hp is going to be cammy. The RX3 is no different. No 5000rpm powerband like a TW with half the horsepower. However, the powerband becomes stronger and noticeably wider as miles accumulate. The RX3 mirrors the Ninja in output until it runs out of RPM, the Ninja's twin allowing a bit more spin, hence, more top end. The RX3's ergos and accessories limit top end--I expect it's engine would give the
Ninja a tight, fun race if similarly set up in a more aerodynamic frame with matching bodywork.

Also, the RX3 has that 6th gear for which TW riders yearn, ratios closing as road speed increases, like a good road bike when it comes to downshifting for a hill or pass or headwind, necessary with all 250s at 70mph. Don't worry about the complaints of narrow powerband--if you've rowed a Ninja 250 gearbox effectively the RX3 is no different, and one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I've ever had.

However, as mentioned above, the final drive ratio is a bit too high for chubby people, especially when combined with the aerodynamic challenges of the fairing, fenders, and luggage. That's a compromise that has to be made for the adventure role. Try loading all that will fit on an RX3 on a Ninja and compare the bikes. Pretty much the same performance, and the RX3 is a lot more comfortable on a long ride.

Also, note the RX3 suspension and brakes are a bit on the weak side compared to a Ninja on the street. However, the RX3 suspension and brakes far exceed the TW's capabilities anywhere except where that 180-80 knobby is really necessary. The TW is a lot more capable in the mud and climbing cliffs than the RX3. Build an equivalent TW for an adventure roll and those extreme offroad advantages a near stock TW enjoys over the near stock RX3 are significantly reduced unless a few $$$$ $$$$ $$$$ are spent to upgrade most every system on the TW, and you still will not have the RX3's ability to function heated gear and artificial daylight.

Avoid comparing apples and oranges, which is what people tend to do. Each of the three serves lists of purposes, and there is a bit more overlap each way with the RX3. Frankly, my modified TW adventure build is just about the same at all things as the RX3, a bit better than the RX3 here and there because the TW is built exactly to my preferences, while I expect your preferences will be different and will affect your comparison of the two. Also, the Tdub2 has three times as much money invested as a brand new RX3, delivered, and registered.