View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

The Spudifications have already begun. This bike is in excellent riding condition. The sprockets and drive chain are in very good shape. The tires also have many miles of useful wear left in them. Therefore, my primary goal is to make this bike street legal, so I can ride to the trails and connect trails via pavement.

My first modification was to mount my Idaho license plate. I want to keep this bike as light, as durable, and as trailworthy as possible. This bike already has a brake light, so I just need to add a hydraulic switch to the rear master cylinder. Therefore, I merely wanted to add a license plate holder, and forego the added expensive, work, and weight of installing an additional tail light with license plate bracket.

After doing some research, and visiting the local State Trailer store, I found my solution! I bought an Optronics, LP5SB, license plate bracket for $1.99.

I put the LP5SB in my vice, and heated the bracket with my propane torch to soften the rugged polymer. Then I bent the bracket to get a nice angle for attaching the license plate. I removed the bracket from the vice, and trimmed off the upper tab. Finally, I installed the bracket to the rear of my fender with two, 1/4-inch bolts.

This license plate holder is very strong, flexible, and lightweight. I will take a few photographs of the finished modification as soon as I shovel the snow from my driveway.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894