View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I like it! Nice to see another old Honda coming back from the dead . I'm really interested in the electrolytic metal cleaning process... Did it remove all the old paint as well as the rust? It almost looks sandblasted! Also, what do you set your charger at? 12volt 10 amps? The clean piece of steel, you just mean a piece with no rust on it? Carbon steel? Thanky for the info, I'd heard of this before but this was the first time I'd seen the results, very impressed!
I was really impressed as well. Another thing to consider is that the process might have been even faster than I realized; perhaps it was clean inside of 10 minutes.

There wasn't any paint on the part to remove, but I don't think that paint would be removed if the metal under it is sound. Anywhere that rust exists will be converted to what I presume to be a phosphate coating. It simply wipes / brushes off. I happened to have the charger set to 12 / 10, but I don't think it needs more than one amp. I just used a piece of steel plate that wasn't terribly rusty, and it becomes the sacrificial anode (perhaps cathode in this case?). I intend to grind the new rust off of it and use it again.

I searched all over for Arm & Hammer washing soda, but it's not common in Canada. I bought a box at Walmart in Washington State, but I've since heard that it's available at London Drugs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer