View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I think it's possible to perform my left crankcase cover modification on the TW200. However, most TW200 owners would disagree. The left crankcase cover on the TDub has a bearing which supports the bike's extra-long countershaft. This bearing is also lubricated by a small oil passage in the left crankcase cover. Therefore, if you section the crankcase cover, you will need to plug the oil galley leading from the front of the cover; however, I don't see any reason why a sealed bearing wouldn't perform equally well.

However, there is another, more serious factor to consider. The two, or more, bolts you use to attached the rear section of the crankcase cover must also be able to support any loads exerted upon it by the drive chain. However, the main countershaft bearing inside the engine is also helping to support these loads. Therefore, I think the crankcase cover modification is possible. Nevertheless, if the loads from the drive chain are too great, you could damage the main countershaft bearing in the engine, which would require you to split the crankcase for repairs. 8O My Zong employs a shorter, more conventional countershaft, so I didn't weaken the countershaft support when I sectioned the left crankcase cover on my Chinese clone.
That's enough "howevers" to make me stick with the stock setup. Thanks for explaining it to me.

I don't blame you. I think that's a wise decision. Because of the extra-long countershaft, you will need to remove the entire, left crankcase cover to replace the countershaft sprocket. Therefore, I encourage you to get a spare gasket for the left crankcase cover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894