Thread: Weather stories
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2024, 12:39 PM   #4

I grew up in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, an area where below zero temps in the winter were the norm. (Sometimes felt like that in the summer too!) We lived in a farm house that had absolutely no insulation in it. We had a wood stove in the kitchen and a wood furnace in the basement. No forced air. And if Dad fell asleep then the fires went out and we would wake up to a house that was almost the same temp as outside.

Every summer was spent cutting down trees, splitting firewood, carrying firewood, stacking firewood, and in the winter filling wood boxes and carrying ashes..... God Almighty I very quickly got tired of messing with firewood!

Then when I was 16 we moved to Michigan's lower peninsula into an apartment and I discovered the most ingenious, and important, invention/innovation of my young life. There was a dial on the wall and if I turned it up the apartment got warmer!!!! Imagine that... no freaking firewood!!!

So even now in my old age as long as the power doesn't go out and that little dial on the wall in my house keeps working let the cold winds blow!