View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Concerns about a used Hawk 250 Enduro

Hi all,

I looked at a used Hawk 250 yesterday. Guy is asking $1500, and the bike has about 500 miles on it. It was assembled by Q9 Powersports, and still has a few months left on the 1 year warranty.

I had a few concerns with it, looking for a second opinion:

1. When turn signals are on the horn sounds as they flash, and when horn button is pressed nothing happens. (Just a basic wiring problem?)

2. Battery won't hold a charge. It is the battery that came with it. (Maybe electrical/wiring problem with horn is causing a drain? Maybe I just put on a new battery and I'll be fine?)

3. Ran pretty hot, and smelled SLIGHTLY like burning/hot oil. (Oil level looked good, and relatively clean).

I drove it around for about 20mins, and it seemed to run great other than the idle being way off. I plan to do a carb swap anyways, and I know the stock carbs are a bit finicky. I am a little worried about a potential wiring/electrical migraine considering points 1 and 2, and of course the light smell of hot oil was very concerning too.

Any thoughts on those issues? Mostly, is the turn signal horn thing going to be a nightmare, and does these tend to run really hot?

I think I'm willing to pay $1150 or even $1200 for it, but want to know if any of my concerns are serious enough to just move on. Considering I could just pick-up a brand new one for rough $1400 - I think my offer is more than reasonable?

Thanks a lot for any info!